Monday, April 20, 2009

Physiology of a Hot Beverage

When playing against a hot drink in the game of life, I never win. Ever.

It’s Monday morning. The air outside is brisk and the temperature is just cold enough that walking into a coffee shop and ordering a steaming cup of anything, is a good idea. I go up to the counter and order a small hot chocolate. Baby steps…I’ve been burned before.

However, as soon as that small paper cup is filled with liquid goodness, I accept this little beverage back into my life, all is forgiven! I take a small cautionary sip. Nothing happens. Victory!

At this point I get too cocky and take a larger sip. Not to self: stay humble. Realizing my mistake only after I’ve taken the gulp, the scalding hot chocolate is making it’s way down my tongue and throat, talking out everything in it’s way (my taste buds included).

This is why I order smoothies in the dead of winter.

1 comment:

PTJ said...

Ah yes, the intrigue that a "cup-of-Joe" has to the untrained nostrils and taste buds. I too have frequently fallen victim to its aromatic luring. I however never make a cautionary sip, I gulp from the beginning. In hindsight, I don' think i have ever drank a cup of coffee without a burnt tongue.