Friday, October 3, 2008

Get Cozy With A Book


I recently read a book that everyone raved about. And let's just say I ate, prayed, and did not love.

It's easy to become turned off of reading if you don't relate to your book in some way. It becomes a chore. Think back to reading for school. How many kids are cheating by watching the movie or reading the Cliff Notes.

But, as an adult, our reading time is our own, thankfully. So why not choose titles--and genres--you like? We're grown-ups, after all, and can eat candy for dinner if we want.

The feeling of falling into a book and being completely captivated by the story is unlike any other. With the craziness of life, it's easy to forget and dismiss this simple pleasure. After the Eat-Pray-Love foray, I read the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. I was captivated. Her descriptions of a vampire romance (it’s not what you think) was just the right mix to keep me in my comfy chair for hours on end. I remembered how much fun it can be to escape into a different world. I admit that at first, I felt guilty for not reading a high-brow book but then I realized it didn't matter…I was reading! I was loving it!

Now where's that candy?

No comments: