Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Dancing Queen…young and free….is so not me.


This semester I signed up for a beginning modern dance class. The first day my teacher has us all sit in a circle, introduce ourselves, and say how much dance experience we have. I was the third to last person to go and I had to sit and listen the 22 people ahead of me talk about how they’ve been dancing for five year, ten years, 15 years, etc. As each person went they also seemed to get more specific as to what types of dance they specialized in. Jazz, tap, ballet, hip-hop, lyrical (I don’t even know what that is), and so on. Finally when it came to be my turn I said, “For all intents and purposes I’m a beginner. BUT I have been dancing in my room…in front of my mirror for the last, I don’t know, ten years, and…I’m really good. I know everyone in here has about 35 years of dance experience on me but, you know,…watch out!” The whole class started cracking up and I am now happily known as the “room-dancing girl.”

1 comment: