Sunday, October 11, 2009

Um, Can We Try That Again?

Last night I watched Baz Luhrmann’s version of Romeo & Juliet. And again last night, like always, I yelled at my television…loudly.


Why is it that this Shakespeare tragedy gets me so mad? I know how it ends!


Yet, every time I watch the movie, like clock work, I shout things like, “Why didn’t the priest just wait for Romeo to come to the chapel and tell him it was a hoax?!” or “If Romeo had talked one minute longer he would see Juliet wake up!” or “Stupid Balthasar! He messes everything up!”


It’s funny how masochistic watching this movie becomes. I willingly sit through the beauty of them meeting for the first time, get married, play in the sheets…almost forgetting how it all plays out (no pun intended).


Only to have the last ten minutes turn me in a puddle. Oh Shakespeare, what have you done to me?

No comments: